Season of Change

     The lake is frozen, so now we change from long rods to short, heavy lines to light, casting to jigging.  I used to just call it a season and toss my rods in the corner of the garage and grab my ice bucket.  Not anymore, you see I had an unfortunate accident last winter that broke 3 rods and a reel.  It wasn't funny at the time, but in hindsight how I managed to suck them into the snow blower and the chaos that ensued was pretty funny.  Anyways, I'm taking some steps to insure that the gear I used this year makes it to spring.
     First off I have taken the time to separate the reels from the rods.  Next I wiped them down.  This was a good opportunity to take a close look at the rods for cracks or damaged eyelets.  I have new rod socks and a Plano Airliner rod tube so now the rods are tucked safely into the basement.  This spring when I head to New Orleans I know that they will all be in one piece and ready to fish.  I have taken the old line off and cleaned the reels.  I keep the boxes the reels came in so they all fit nicely in a drawer, and will be easy to find when April rolls around.


     Now that everything is tucked away and safe I get to start pulling out the ice fishing gear.  Should be out on the ice by the weekend.  We have 2-3 inches right now but I prefer at least 4 inches before I head out.  I have a new custom rod for pike and lake trout that I can't wait to try from Thorne Bros.  Really excited to share this seasons catches as well as ideas for pike, brown trout, big bluegills, and catfish.
     Tight Lines.

Comments

Featured In

Featured In