Casting for Carp


The best of the local carp patterns.
     I recently had a post about a little pond I found on Google Earth.  I caught some bass that day and had an absolute blast.  As I was leaving I noticed some bubbles and a little brown tail tip on the surface of the water.  I knew exactly what I was looking at, feeding carp!  Their were tons of them all eagerly feeding in the shallows without a care in the world.  I knew that I had to come back soon, and with a fly rod.
     The days passed and soon I found myself back on the banks of that little pond.  I had my trusty 7 weight in hand and started scanning the surface for signs of active fish.  After a little work I found them, a pod of about 5-7 fish.  Sneaking up to the edge of the pond on my knees careful to not make any sudden movements I fired off a cast to the center of the pod.  As the fly began to sink the line touched the back of one of the fish.  The water erupted as it spooked them and they took off for cover.  I sat on the shoreline a broken man.  What a stupid mistake I thought, this isn't panfishing!  I lit a cigarette and waited to see if anything was still around.  After a few minutes I saw the tell tale bubbles starting to form on the surface.  They were back and I was determined not to make anymore stupid mistakes.
     This time I took the time to figure out where the lead fish was.  I carefully spooled off some line and sent out my cast with all the attention and care of a steelhead fisherman on the swing.  It landed softly and sank out of sight.  Keeping my rod tip low I watched intensely for any movement of my fly line.  I stripped a little line back, maybe 1-2 inches then again let it settle.  Staring at the waters surface I noticed it, the line moved.  It didn't so much move as it kind of breathed.  Heaving back on the rod I found myself instantly connected to the mouth of a freight train.  Carp run like nothing else in freshwater.  It took off and quickly had me in the backing.  Tearing this way and that across the pond he did everything in his power to free himself from the hook in his face.  I could tell straight away that he wasn't that big as far as carp go, but he had an incredible spirit.  It took almost 15 minutes to land him and on more than one occasion I damn near fell into the water.  Finally laying on the edge of the undercut bank I reached out with my Lucid Fishing Grips and claimed my prize.
     Even on the bank he refused to give up, twisting and turning in my hands.  I tried politely explaining that I just wanted to take a selfie with him.  He wasn't having it and looked mad even in the photos.  It was quite the experience and I will be back to try for the bigger one I saw that day.  If you haven't tried to catch a carp on a fly you should.  It will make you a better angler and they are stupid amounts of fun when hooked.  If your gonna be in the Madison area and want to go after one give me a call.  I would be happy to take you out after the golden bonefish.
     Tight Lines.

Comments

Featured In

Featured In