New Local Waters

     I have needed new waters lately.  I have been craving fishing in places I haven't been to and since the family budget says stay local, I fired up Google Earth and started scouring the neighborhoods in Madison, WI.  I spend a stupid amount of time on Google Earth.  I love to explore areas close to home as well as looking at waters in far off destinations.  While scanning the map I noticed a small creek fed pond I never new existed that was maybe 3 minutes from my house.  I grabbed my rod, my box of 1/2oz. Echotails, and my waterproof Lucid Fishing Dry Pack, and then headed out the door looking for an adventure.
     As I pulled up to the pond (found it first try), I immediately noticed that the creek was all but dried up.  This had me a little worried since stale and stagnant water in town usually means it doesn't hold any fish.  I started working my way around the pond looking for any verifiable signs of life.  A few casts in and I snagged on the bottom.  After freeing my lure I reeled it back in to find the treble hooks covered in thick green weeds.  The first piece of advice I always give new anglers is that if you can find submerged weeds you can find fish.  The weeds on the lure was a sign that fish were indeed in this pond.  Now I just had to find them.
     Eventually I worked my way around to the south side of the pond and fired off what I call a bomb cast.  Bomb casts are the ones we shore fisherman use to cover a lot of water quickly.  When fishing ponds these bomb casts can normally clear the entire length of the pond.  This way the lure goes all the way from one end to the other.  You cover a lot of water like this especially with vibrating blade baits like the Echotail.  I cranked the lure to the middle of pond then stopped and let it settle to the bottom.  I watched the line go slack as it hit the bottom then slowly started back up my retrieve.  Maybe 3 revolutions of the reel handle and BAM!  Fish On!  I new immediately it was a largemouth bass.  It tore off shaking it's head wildly side to side.  I love the way bass fight since they really put their shoulders in to the struggle. The constant jumping and aerial displays never fail to put a smile on my face.
     I released the bass and did a little more exploring along the shoreline.  I often wonder how many times we drive by productive waters in our own backyard.  Whether on our way to work, taking the kids to school, or even to go on a fishing trip.  The fish in these waters are almost never pressured and if you ask the parks department or DNR they will often tell you that the fish are not even supposed to be in those ponds.  The eggs come into the ponds on birds or they get trapped in the ponds during seasonal flooding.  So the next time you are looking for a new place to fish check out Google Earth.  You may find great fishing in your own backyard.
     Tight Lines.

Comments

Featured In

Featured In