Thought He Was Lying

     The other evening I was talking to my buddy Mark about his recent outings on the ice.  He told me a story, I thought was a lie.  It goes something like this...
     Mark and a friend were out on beautiful Lake Kegonsa doing some tip up fishing for walleyes.  Mark set his 3 tip ups out in a semicircle baited with shiners and went back to the shanty.  Shortly after he sat down he had a flag.  He ran out to set the hook and fought the fish for a few seconds before the fish snapped the line.  Mark still had his tip ups rigged with 8 pound fluorocarbon line and size 8 octopus hooks a classic brown trout rigging.  He picked up his tip up and headed back to the shanty to retie his line.  While working on the tip up he had another flag.  Rushing out on the ice he noticed that the spool was spinning and started the process of fighting the fish.  After a few minutes he got a little over zealous and once again, broke off the fish.  Feeling a little defeated he headed back to his shanty, now with 2 tip ups in need of repair.  As soon as he sat down his last flag popped up on the ice.  Racing out to his flag he made a mental note to take it easy during the fight so he wouldn't lose this fish.  After some delicate fish wrangling he soon had a chunky 32 inch pike on the ice.  He decided to keep the fish and take it home for a couple of nice fillets.
     When he got back to his house he cleaned the fish, careful to keep the fillets Y bone free.  That is when he noticed that the pike had a really full stomach.  Being the curious angler that he is, he slit the stomach open and found 3 shiners.  Two of the shiners had size 8 octopus hooks behind their dorsal fins.  I swear I thought he was lying through his teeth.  I think he could tell I didn't believe his crazy story, so he pulled out his phone and showed me the picture.  I was blown away by what I saw, that pike hit all 3 of his tip ups in a span of about 15 minutes.  Just thinking about this now, it still blows my mind!  Congrats Mark on a nice fish, and an even nicer fishing tale.
     Tight Lines.

Comments

Featured In

Featured In