Exhausted Surprises

So tired...
     I'm not gonna lie the last few weeks have absolutely worn me out.  So when my buddy Mike called to see if I wanted to join him and his dad for some shorefishing in Port Washington, WI I politely declined his offer.  After a few more texts back and forth catching up on each others lives, I decided I still had a few more hours of fishing left in me.  So I dragged my sorry butt off the couch and started rigging up a rod to chase King Salmon.
     Mike arrived bright and early as promised (coffee in hand).  While driving up to Port Washington in the dark we talked kids, jobs, married life, and of course fishing.  Once in the parking lot we noticed that our favorite spot was still open and made the mad dash for the railing, narrowly beating out a few others that were gunning for the same spot.
This is what it's all about, if you're lucky you might even catch a fish.
     We quickly double checked our knots and dropped our lines over the side of the wall.  It didn't take long before Mike was hooked up to a nice king, but as you all know, just because you have a fish on the line it doesn't mean you're gonna land it.  That crazy fish ran all over the side of the harbor wall before freeing himself.  Mike's rig was broken, so he retied it and we continued fishing.  This was the way the morning went.  We would hook up, fight the fish for awhile, then lose it. 
Can you tell I normally fish from a kayak?
     After a few hours Mike's dad arrived (with coffee).   That's the way he's been working it lately, "Why should I get up so early?" he always says.  "I'll let you young guys get up stupid early and battle for the spot."  I have to admit that he makes a really good point.  I for one would love to get up at 7am instead of 3am.  He got his rod setup and we continued to hook up and lose fish for most of the morning.  I kept losing fish because of braided line that wanted to dig into the spool.  They lost fish due to tangling up with the lines of other anglers.  It was an absolute blast and I was glad I made the decision to get up early and join these two for some fishing.
     Suddenly Mike hooked up and started the delicate dance of trying to avoid the other anglers lines up and down the harbor wall.  Just then I heard him yell, "It's a LAKER!"  I couldn't believe my eyes as I peered into the water.  For Mike and myself catching a lake trout from shore was kind of like finding the holy grail.  We have both had this fish on our short list of species we wanted to catch, and Mike had one on the end of his line.  I quickly reeled in my line and raced over to the grass to grab the long handled net.  After a quick fight, we had it.  Raising it up over the wall we both just stopped and stared at the beautiful fish.  It was like he had caught a unicorn mythical creature, we just kept on looking at in disbelief.  Still we had to act quickly, so Mike got it unhooked, and I snapped a few pictures.  We then carefully lowered it back down, releasing it into the cold water below.
     We talked about that fish the entire ride back to Madison.  It was one of those fishing moments, that I'll never forget.  Until next time...
Cross another species of the life list.
     Tight Lines.

Comments

Featured In

Featured In