SBH Egg Sucking Leech

     I openly admit that I don't enjoy tying flies, but lately I've spent a lot of time fishing different patterns for various Salmonids on the Great Lakes.  I've been using time tested and proven Egg Sucking Leech patterns that I've purchased from Orvis of Madison and have had some success.  However, I have also found a few things that I would like the fly to do differently.
     The first issue I had was with the weight of the patterns.  I really need my flies to sink faster.  Using Tenkara rods (fixed line) doesn't allow me to fire off a long cast and let the fly slowly sink down to the strike zone.  I need the flies to drop like a subtle rock through the water column.  I've also had issues with the bead color and size on many of the patterns.  My past experiences fishing with spawn sacks along the harbor walls and through the ice have proven that smaller eggs seem to get picked up more readily.  So in my mind the large beads on many patterns just didn't make sense.  Also I noticed that I'm having a hard time getting a solid hookset.  To be honest I have even had a few hooks straighten while fighting fish.  I wanted a fly tied on a EWG hook to help with my hook up ratio.  Finally, I needed a pattern with a good side profile and some flash.  The urban areas I fish both from shore and while wading don't always mimic those clear beautiful rivers and streams of the Pacific Northwest.  I needed a fly that the fish could find in murky to almost muddy conditions along the shores of Lake Michigan.
     With all of these things in mind I came up with a simple Egg Sucking Leech pattern.  It's by no means a new pattern, just a conglomeration of my favorite things from multiple patterns that I've either fished, tied, or researched online.
SBH Egg Sucking Leech

Hook: Size 5 Gamakatsu EWG Offset Worm Hook
Thread: Orange floss (under bead)
Thread: 6/0 Black 140 Denier (body)
Bead: 5mm Orange Pucci Pearl
Tail: Black UV Marabou, Flashabou Fine Black Holographic
Body: Medium Pearl Black Chenille
Hackle: Black Rooster (gloss)
Wire: .25 Lead Free

     The construction is really simple, but I thought I would add a few tips to help the first time tier.  Wrap a small amount of similar colored thread onto the hook under the bead.  This really helps pump up the color since the beads have an almost translucent appearance.  Also I've found that 12 wraps of wire (secured with thread) gives it the required amount of weight for a rapid descent.  Lastly, finish off the fly with a decent cement or super glue.  This really adds to the life span of the fly when subjecting it to the rocky shorelines of the Midwest's lakes and rivers.
     Hopefully this will prove to be a useful pattern in your own fly box.  If you end up tying a couple for yourself let me know if there's anything you would do to improve it.  I'm always interested in your feedback on this or any of my how-to posts. Just leave a comment in the section below.  Until next time...
A beautiful Lake Michigan brown trout.
     Tight Lines.








Comments

Featured In

Featured In