Which Native Watercraft Propel Kayak is Right for You?

     So which Native Watercraft Propel driven kayak should I buy? 

     This is the question I've been fielding ever since I wrote the post on the new Ultimate FX Propel.  The answer in my mind is pretty simple.  For me I would (did) buy the Slayer 13 Propel.  My reasoning is very straight forward, I occasionally fish the Great Lakes.  For those of you who haven't spent time on Lake Michigan, the chance of flipping over in the cold water is ever present.  From my point of view the scupper holes on the Slayer Propel make it the better choice.  That "better choice" is my opinion though and it may not matter in the slightest to you.
     When you look at the two boats on paper they are really close in both carrying capacity and size.  The differences are much more apparent though when you view them side by side.  The Slayer Propel is a sit on top and the Ultimate FX Propel is a sit inside.  That means you get a dryer and lighter ride in the Ultimate, but you get an unsinkable boat in the Slayer Propel.  I don't see many scenarios when a kayak angler would have to worry about flipping something as stout as the Ultimate FX Propel, but if you frequent the Great Lakes or the ocean I think the Slayer Propel is the better choice.  For many anglers that won't even be an issue so the Ultimate FX Propel would make sense, but for me I just don't want to risk it when out on big bodies of water.
     That's about it for my thoughts on which is the better boat.  If you frequent bodies of water which could put you in situations where flipping the kayak comes with the territory buy the Slayer Propel.  If flipping isn't an issue where you fish pick up the Ultimate FX Propel.  Neither boat from Native Watercraft will disappoint it's owner, they are just built to do different things well.  To check out my review on the Native Watercraft Slayer Propel follow the link here.  To read my thoughts on the Native Watercraft Ultimate FX Propel follow this link.  The best thing you could do is get a hold of your local paddle shop and test paddle both of them.  That is the only way you'll figure out which of these two amazing kayaks is right for you.
     Tight Lines.

Comments

Featured In

Featured In