Even I Don't Trust My Sense of Direction

     I must admit it was my fault we got lost.  To be honest though neither of us are particularly good at finding our way.  We miss exits, turn left instead of right, even fish on the wrong side of the lake sometimes.  That's exactly what happened last week when I offered to take a buddy of mine out catfishing.
     We met up mid afternoon in the hopes of getting after some of those fat prespawn Lake Mendota channel catfish.  I had all the rigging we needed, all he had to do was meet me at the launch with his kayak.  Using the word "launch" might be a bit of an overstatement since really it was just access.  I wanted to take off from Governor's Island and pedal out to the end of a bay near the river channel.  At that point we just had to drop anchor and cast out our lines.  "Simple" I told him, "Nothing to it."
     So that last part was a bit of a lie because getting our kayaks to the waters edge proved to be challenging.  Every place we could find to enter the water had about 5 yards of knee deep mud we would have to cross.  We abandoned the kayaks and started walking the shore line looking for a spot that didn't require us to sink to our deaths like that poor horse in The Neverending Story.  Remember that movie?  With the flying dog/dragon and the child like princess!  Anyways... after some searching we found a sketchy log strewn launch point and got the kayaks out on the water.
Don't tease him just because he pedals a Hobie.
     We pedaled over to what I thought was the channel and baited up our lines with some fresh cut suckers.  We caught up a bit while we waited for a bite.  Most of the conversation focused on the upcoming tournament season.  Boats came and went and I was shocked by how slow the action was.  "Do you think we should move?" my buddy asked.  "Let's give it a few more minutes" I told him, "This should be the spot."  I sounded confident, but I wasn't sure anymore.  I pulled out my phone and looked at the waypoint I had pinned on Google Earth.  I stood up and turned around and noticed that the map didn't turn with me.  "Uh, I forgot to turn on my phones location setting before we left shore."  "What do mean?" he replied.  "I mean were on the wrong side of the island," "The river channel is over there."  The look on his face was priceless.  I couldn't stop laughing as we reeled in our lines and pulled up the anchors.  Just another day out and about with the Shorebound Hero.
     Tight Lines. 

Comments

Featured In

Featured In