Stupid Brown Trout

     This morning came quick, like stupid quick.  I'm transitioning into a new position on first shift so I've been playing with my sleep schedule and to say the least my butt's been dragging.  Add to that the fact that JJ and myself were once again attempting to catch a brown trout through the ice and that alarm seemed to arrive a little too early.  I was exhausted and the day was just getting started. 
The jig/fly that proved to only be good for a single bite.
     I had spent the previous evening trying to tie up a jig/fly hybrid that would allow us to vertically work the water column while mimicking a medium sized shiner.  This meant that my mind was shot because all I had to work with was a blurry screen shot I had taken from a video I found online.  Still since JJ agreed to drive (it was his idea) the least I could do was solve the "What lure to use?" issue.  After arguing with the alarm for a few minutes I got out of bed, made some coffee, and watched out the window for JJ to pull in the driveway.  We loaded up his truck with our hopes and dreams and were soon headed down the road destined for Milwaukee, WI.  Hoping to finally land a brown trout through the ice.
Pretty clever little fishing device.
     I say hoping because despite several attempts in the past, JJ and I have never landed a single fish.  We've taken others out to the harbor and put them on fish, but neither of us have the hero shot we so desperately wanted.  This time though JJ had built a secret weapon.  He made up a set of homemade automatic fisherman.  For those that don't know what an automatic fisherman is check out the video link here.  We were confident that this time we would finally land a brown trout.
My trusted tip-up doing its best to catch me a fish.
     Once we had all the tip-ups and automatic fisherman's setup we retreated to the warmth of his Frabill shanty.  Slowly the hours ticked away, along with our ever shaky confidence.  We replaced spawn sacs and checked on our minnows, but it seemed the bite wouldn't be happening today.
     I passed the time watching Yak Fish TV on my smart phone.  Poor JJ passed the time watching Facebook videos of others catching massive trout through the same ice.  To be fair I had a short hookup on my jigging rod, but I lost it because I wasn't paying attention.  Remember how I always say no slack in the line when jigging?  That's how I lost what turned out to be our only chance at landing a fish.
     So what did we learn from this experience?  That we're gonna hire a guide on our next trip.  I'm tired of coming home from Milwaukee ice fishing trips with my tail between my legs.  I guess I'm finally ready to part with some money in the hopes of a shiny brown fish.  Judge me if you want, but I admit defeat.
     Tight Lines.


Comments

Featured In

Featured In